Sunday, June 21, 2009

My First Oil

I took a class in water soluble oils from Cathy Futral this week. I painted this in class in less than 2 hours. (You can click to enlarge.)




I found it hard to get the fine detail lines with oil. It seemed kind of gloppy to me. I missed the flow of the water I guess. But the painting does look richer.


Also, it is going to take over a month to dry!! I would definitely need a studio if I used this medium. I don't have enough space in my apartment to have drying art laying all over the place. Right now it is taking up a seat on my porch and I'm hoping there are no major storms.

1 comment:

bj said...

I like your first oil! Yes, getting used to oil after using water media can be a challenge. It's like me trying to do watercolor...which is out of my comfort zone.