Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Atlanta Swan House

I am new to Atlanta and decided to paint at the Historical Society first. Unfortunately, the walk from the parking lot to the area we wanted to paint seemed pretty far for my mother -- especially with all our equipment. Also, the entrance fee seemed steep just to paint. So we drove around looking for other things to paint and happenned upon the Swan House, which was what we wanted to paint in the first place.

The Swan house can be seen from a side road -- behind an ornate gate. For painting, the view was perfect. The side road was quiet and no tourists bothered us while painting.

Here is the painting I did on-site. It is 1/4 sheet (11 x 14")

3 comments:

Melanie said...

This is really beautiful! I looked at the enlarged photo and really admire the impressionistic technique you used with the spaltering and yet you give the feel of the formal feeling of the house too. Love it!
~Melanie

` said...

Thanks Melanie!! I didn't even realize you could look at a larger image. Unfortunately, when you look at the bigger image, you can see more clearly that I had to take two scans. (One side is a bit darker.) Next time, I'll have to take more time to "stich" them properly before posting. Splattering is one of my favorite techniques to help add interest to a painting. I got this neat splatter screen at Cheap Joes recently and have been using it a lot. Thanks again for your post!!
Marian

Anonymous said...

Hi Marian,

This is beautiful!! I set it as my background on my computer at work--I will think of you every time I see it.

Your work is just georgous!!

Lisa