Friday, February 20, 2009

My Napa Cabbage



My friend Lorance showed me his book of Edward Weston's photography. I was struck by a photo of a cabbage leaf and decided that would be a good subject to paint -- good design. So I went to a few grocery stores but could not find the A shape I was looking for in any cabbage leaves.

I spent $4 for the most photographic cabbage and took the Napa cabbage home to photograph. Of all the photos I took, I liked two photos/designs and my mother helped me select this image to paint.

I used five colors sap green, lemon yellow, ultramarine purple, and indian red/brown madder (? not sure which) and the deep background was glazed with indigo.

This one took me a lot of painting sessions. All those curly queues got tedious!!

1 comment:

Lorance Stinson said...

Wow! That is quite impressive. Very nice work.